Veterans Affairs and Services

Monday - Friday: 8am to 5pm
Closed: 12pm to 1pm for lunch

Surbeck Building, 3rd Floor
201 North Shiawassee Street
Corunna, MI 48817

Click Here For Directions

P: 989.743.2231
F: 989.743.2393

Financial Relief

Emergency Assistance

"Emergent need" is further defined to mean an unforeseen circumstance causing a temporary financial emergency or hardship that a grant will resolve.  The key factor in determining whether or not a grant is approved is the ability of the applicant to resume his/her financial responsibility (within a sensible amount of time).  If there is no reasonable expectation that the grant would enable the applicant to resume his/her financial responsibility, then a grant is NOT appropriate or wise (reasonable doubt is applied in favor of the applicant).  No cash payments are made to the veteran.  Instead, all payment is made directly to the business or agency the veteran is working with.

Veterans Relief Fund (PA 214)


  • Veteran discharged under honorable conditions.
  • Legal dependent of person who died while on active duty.
  • Legal dependent of a person who is on active duty for purposes other than training.
  • Legal dependents, or the unmarried widow(er) of a veteran.
  • At least 90 days of active military service or less than 90 days as the direct result of separation due to an injury/aggravation while on active duty and at least one day of service in the following periods of conflict or received an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.
  • WW II   December 02, 1941  -  December 31, 1946
  • Korea June 27, 1950  -  January 31, 1955
  • Vietnam   February 28 1961  -  May 07, 1975
    • January 31, 1955 (on or after and received the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal or Vietnam Service Medal)
  • Persian Gulf   August 02, 1990  -  TBD


National Guard and Reserve members are not eligible for VRF assistance unless they have a DD 214 showing federal activation.

Instructions and documents needed to apply.

Applications are accepted and processed by the County Veteran Affairs, Relief Fund Agent. The application will then be presented to the Veteran Affairs Committee for approval. We ask you allow our office up to 72 hours to make a determination on your request. The County Veteran Affairs Committee meets each month on the 3rd Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. The location of the meeting is: 201 N. Shiawassee St, 3rd Floor Surbeck Bld., Corunna, MI 48817 in the conference room unless otherwise noted.

Michigan Veterans Trust Fund

The Michigan Veterans Trust Fund provides emergency grants to Michigan veterans and dependent family members to help them weather short-term financial crisis.
MVTF grants may be applied for through the Shiawassee County Veteran Affairs office. All applications are investigated and decided upon in confidence. Veterans may request a personal hearing before the county committee when their application is being considered.  Additionally, veterans have the right to appeal to the MVTF Board of Trustees if the application is denied at the county level, and will be provided with the opportunity to appear before the board to present information and answer questions.


  • Michigan resident

  • Honorably discharged with:

    • 180 days of service during a period of war (90 days for WWI veterans)

    • 180 days of active duty with award of Armed Forces or Navy/Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal (for service in places such as Grenada, Lebanon, Berlin, Persian Gulf, Mayaguez Operation or Desert Storm)

    • Less than 180 days of wartime service due to service-incurred disability

      • Wartime service includes the following periods:

        • WWI  - April 6,1917 - November 11, 1918 (Until April 1, 1920 if in service in Russia)

        • WWII - December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946

        • Korea - June 27, 1950 - January 31, 1955

        • Vietnam - February 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975

        • Persian Gulf  - August 2, 1990 - present

        • If a veteran has less than 180 days of active duty during these eras, duty in more than one period may be combined. 

  • Dependents can apply if veteran is eligible under certain circumstances

Needed documentation

  • Discharge papers, separation report or DD-214 (showing the dates of active duty and the character of the release)

  • Proof of residence (driver's license, voter registration, state I.D.)

  • Marriage certificate and birth certificates for minor children (legal dependents)

  • Death certificate of a deceased spouse or parent

  • Bills or account statements regarding the items for which you are seeking an MVTF grant

  • Documentation of any disability rating

  • Proof of employment or other income

  • Evidence of efforts at other appropriate agencies

Instructions and documents needed to apply.

Applications are accepted and processed by the Veteran Affairs, Relief Fund Agent. The application will then be presented to the County, Michigan Veterans Trust Fund Committee for approval. Once approved at the county level, it will be forwarded to the State for review and payment. We ask that you allow this process 3 - 5 business days for your request.


Veteran Resources

  • Vehicles For Veterans  -  Vehicles For Veterans is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit vehicle donation program dedicated to providing funding that will help to build better lives for all of our nation’s veterans and their families. The Vehicles For Veterans program supports disabled veterans and other causes for our nation’s veterans. These causes include, but are not limited to, health and wellness, employment, medical care, disability, pension, and housing.
  • Vehicles For Veterans helps several veterans’ charities throughout the U.S. Charities that have benefited from Vehicles For Veterans that include: Homes For Our Troops, Operation Homefront, Veterans Airlift Command, the Fisher House Foundation, the Semper Fi Fund, the Bob Woodruff Foundation, Operation Gratitude, Minnesota Military Family Foundation, and the Gary Sinise Foundation. In the past, Vehicles For Veterans has also donated proceeds to Disabled American Veterans (DAV).