Register of Deeds

Lori S. Kimble

Monday - Friday: 8am to 12pm and 1pm to 5pm

Circuit Courthouse
208 N. Shiawassee Street, 1st Floor
Corunna, MI 48817

Click Here For Directions

P: 989.743.2216
F: 989.743.2459

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Do you have standard document requirements?
A. Yes, see Recording Requirements.

Q. Do I need to have an original document to record?
A. Yes, we must have the original document with original signatures.

Q. What information is needed to obtain a copy of recorded documents?
A. Must know the names on the documents and approximate year of recording.

Q. How far back do your records go and how are the records kept in your office?
A. Our records are Grantor/Grantee indexes by name and year. The records are accessible in book, microfilm and computer image media. We have records from 1836 to present. Shiawassee County was established in 1837. Our records in the office are in books, microfilm and scanned images. From 1954 to present, the records have been scanned and indexed into our computer system. All of our records are available for search by Liber and Page. We are striving to get more records indexed into our computer system. Restoring our records is an ongoing project.

QWho can get a copy of my deed, mortgage, lien, etc?
A. Anyone can get a copy of the deed once a document is recorded.

Q. How can I add or delete someone’s name on my deed?
A. It is strongly recommended that you obtain legal counsel when preparing or making changes on your deed. After it is prepared you or your attorney will bring the deed to our office for recording.

Q. My spouse passed away and our property is in both of our names, what should be done?
Will I receive a new deed with just my name on it?
A. Bring in a certified death certificate along with the appropriate recording fees for us to record it. This will show that the deceased person no longer has an interest in the property. You will not receive a new deed, we are a recording office, and do not draft documents. Your original deed is still the deed to your property.

Q. Has my mortgage or lien been discharged?
A. You will need the liber and page number of the recorded document in question or the names and approximate year of recording to obtain this information.

Q. When I pay off my mortgage, do I get a new deed?
A. No, when you pay off your mortgage, you should receive a Discharge or Satisfaction of Mortgage from your Lender. You do not receive a deed at this time because you get your deed when you first purchase the property. If you do not have your deed, then you can get a recorded copy of it at our office. Copy fees will apply.

Q. Why record documents?
A. A public document gives notice concerning ownership of and encumbrances against real property and can be located by all creditors, subsequent purchasers, and others with an economic interest in the property. The County Register’s Office is the official caretaker of the land records in each county.

Q. Do you have a survey of my property?
A. Only if it has been surveyed and recorded. We do not have mortgage surveys.

Q. How much is a copy of my document?
A. $1.00 per page.

Q. How much is it to certify the copy?
A. $5.00 per document.

Q. How much is it to record a document?
A. $30.00 per document; plus an additional 5.00 for a tax certificate on warranty deeds and land contracts, also the appropriate revenue on the sale amount. See Transfer Tax Schedule.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to call the Register of Deeds office at (989) 743-2316.

Disclaimer: This website was created by the Shiawassee County Register of Deeds Office as a public service. All information on this site is intended to be accurate, complete and timely; however, Shiawassee County and the Shiawassee County Register of Deeds do not warrant the accuracy of the information contained herein nor is it responsible for any errors or omissions and assumes no liability for its use. While the information on this site may be about legal issues, it is not legal advice.