Prosecuting Attorney

Scott Koerner

Monday - Friday: 8am - 5pm

Surbeck Building
201 North Shiawassee Street, 2nd Floor
Corunna, MI 48817

Click Here For Directions

P (Criminal Division): 989.743.2373
P (Victim's Rights): 989.743.2468
F: 989.743.2237

Do I need anything special to get my PPO enforced in another state?

In some states, you will need a certified copy of your personal protection order (PPO). A certified copy says that it is a "true and correct" copy; it is signed and initialed by the clerk of court that gave you the order, and usually has some kind of court stamp on it or embossed (raised) seal.

In Michigan, a certified order has a court seal on it and either the judge’s original signature or a stamp of the judge’s signature along with a “true copy” stamp. When the PPO was issued, you should have received two true copies (but not necessarily certified copies) of the order (MCL 600.2950(15)(b)).  If your copy is not a certified copy, go back to the court that gave you the order and ask the clerk's office for a certified copy. There is usually no fee to get a certified copy of a Michigan PPO, but you may have to pay for the copies.

Note: It is a good idea to keep a copy of the order with you at all times. You will also want to bring several copies of the order with you when you move. Leave copies of the order at your work place, at your home, at the children's school or daycare, in your car, with a sympathetic neighbor, etc. Give a copy to the security guard or person at the front desk where you live and/or work. Give a copy of the order to anyone who is named in and protected by the order.