Circuit Courthouse
208 N Shiawassee Street, 1st Floor
Corunna, MI 48817

Click Here For Directions

Phone:  989-743-2397
Fax:      989-743-2439


Medical Insurance FAQs

Why do both parents need to know the other’s insurance that is provided for their children?

One reason is for coordination of benefits so that both insurances may be used if there is more than one provided. Also, parents working together can control health care costs, make health care decisions in the best interest of their child(ren) and reduce disputes over health care. Health care insurance can reduce risk and reduce the portion both parents have to pay for uninsured expenses. Mutual decisions on health care coverage are necessary to assure favored doctors are in the plan and that the child(ren) can receive care in the area where they live. It is also important to advise the Friend of the Court and each other of any changes in the insurance provided.

If my child(ren) is covered by the State of Michigan, Medicaid or MiHealth, will insurance be enforced through my employer?

Yes, Medicaid is State funded and does not qualify to meet your responsibility of insuring your child(ren). You will still be responsible to provide insurance through your employer if it is available at a reasonable cost. In Shiawassee County, if the cost to insure your child(ren) does not exceed six percent (6%) of your gross wages, it is considered reasonable and will be enforced. If the cost proves to be a hardship you may object to the insurance in writing and insurance enforcement will be reconsidered.

My child(ren) is covered by MiChild, for which I pay a monthly premium. Do I still have to insure them through my employer?

At this time, Shiawassee County will accept MiChild as a qualifying insurance provided by the parent. You will not be required to enroll your child(ren) in other insurance. You are required to submit verification of the MiChild payment and the effective date for your child(ren).

If my current spouse insures my child(ren) does that meet my responsibility to insure?

Yes, if a third party insures your child(ren) you will not be required to provide health insurance through your employer. The information is required for your file. You will be required to complete a Health Insurance Information form and submit it for your file. A copy of the insurance card, front and back should also accompany the form.