Circuit Courthouse
208 N Shiawassee Street, 1st Floor
Corunna, MI 48817

Click Here For Directions

Phone:  989-743-2397
Fax:      989-743-2439


Custody & Parenting Time FAQs

The other parent is not making child support payments required by court order. Do I have to allow parenting time?

Yes. You must continue to obey the order’s parenting time provisions. You may request Friend of Court to enforce the child support provisions contained in the order.

Is the Friend of Court allowed to investigate child abuse or neglect?

While the Friend of Court does not have authority to investigate child abuse or neglect, by law, Friend of Court employees are mandated reporters. The Friend of Court will record and forward any allegations of abuse and/or neglect to the Protective Services unit of the Department of Human Services. You may also file your own confidential report with Protective Services without notification to the Friend of Court. The number is 855-444-3911.

At what age can a child decide where (s)he wants to live?

A child can decide where (s)he lives upon becoming an adult at age 18. Until then, the Court has jurisdiction.

How do I get the court’s approval to move the children out of the state of Michigan?

If you or the other parent want to move, you may file a Motion Regarding Domicile/Legal Residence that asks the court to enter an order allowing you to move the children and the reasons for doing so. Filing a motion or notifying the Friend of Court that you intend to move the children does NOT allow you to move the children. You must obtain a court order approving the move.

The other parent will not let me telephone my child. What can Friend of Court do?

Friend of Court can only enforce the written orders of the court. If your court order does not provide for telephone calls, try to negotiate an agreement with the other parent. You may also file a motion asking the court to modify the order to require that you be allowed to telephone your children.

My child does not want to spend time with the other parent. What can I do?

Parents must obey court orders regardless of the child’s age and preferences. Each parent must try to promote a positive relationship between the child and the other parent.

The other parent refuses to see our children. What can I do?

The Friend of Court cannot force a parent to see his or her children. To promote a positive relationship between the child and the other parent, you may wish to consider counseling, mediation or filing a motion to change the parenting time order.