Emergency Management / Homeland Security
RAVE Mobile Safety
RECEIVE EMERGENCY NOTIFICATIONS
REGISTER FOR RAVE - click here
The Emergency Management & Homeland Security Division will foster, promote and maintain whole community partnerships to protect Shiawassee County from all hazards.
Shiawassee County will be a county where everyone is dedicated to enhancing public safety by improving our ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from emergencies, disasters and threats to our homeland.
To foster and promote an emergency management system that protects and effectively responds to county emergencies and disasters, both man-made and natural.
This office is tasked with coordinating efforts to Mitigate situations that could become hazards to our community. Part of that effort is to Prepare individuals, governmental units and businesses, ahead of time with the tools to be ready should a disaster or emergency occur. Should an incident occur, we must now be able to Respond in an efficient manner to protect lives, property and the environment. Recovery from the effects of the emergency or disaster is often the most difficult task. This utilizes a number of resources, in a coordinated effort to restore our community, back to level of normalcy, after a large scale disaster.
Services offered by the Office of Emergency Management & Homeland Security include the following:
- Preparedness planning: Providing informational presentations to groups and organizations on a variety of topics relating to being ready before a disaster or emergency occur.
- Working with various governmental units to benefit from all federal grant opportunities.
- Mitigation: Coordinate emergency management activities with a variety of disciplines in the effort to reduce loss of life and property by lessening the impact of disasters. Mitigation is done before the next disaster—in a effort to reduce human, critical infrastructure and financial consequences later. We do this by analyzing risk, reducing risk, and insuring against risk. It is important to know that disasters can happen at any time and any place.
- Responding to all incidents by coordinating all personal and resources needed during a activation.
- Recovery- a coordinated effort to restore our community, back to level of normalcy, after a large scale disaster.
- LEPC - Local Emergency Planning Committee: Local planning for chemical incidents.
- CERT - Citizen Emergency Response Team: Volunteer organization training.