County Clerk

Caroline Wilson

Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (lunch) and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Circuit Courthouse                                             
208 North Shiawassee Street, 2nd Floor                                 
Corunna, MI 48817

Click Here For Directions

P: 989.743.2242
F: 989.743.2241



County Clerk

Caroline Wilson
County Clerk

The County Clerk is clerk of the Circuit Court and is the general recorder of not only Circuit Court records, but also County records such as births, deaths, marriages, business and professional registrations. The Clerk is clerk of the Board of Commissioners, and statutorily serves on numerous County Boards. She is also responsible for all Election activities in Shiawassee County. The Clerk is elected to a 4 year term by the voters of Shiawassee County on a partisan ballot in the general November election.

Caroline Wilson

Caroline Wilson was elected as Shiawassee County Clerk in November of 2016 and took office on January 1, 2017. 



In compliance with CDC regulations, delays can be expected. We will continue to process as many requests as possible via phone and email. If you need to contact us, email us at: or call us at (989)743-2242. We apologize for any inconvenience.

**NOTE: CPL and Marriage License applications will not be processed between 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. or after 4:30 p.m.**

For Circuit Court information, please scroll down.


GIS Information is now LIVE! Click here for access!

Business Registrations

Businesses, except corporations and some partnerships, are registered under an assumed name by submitting the proper form at the Clerk's Office or the clerk's web page. You must be 18 years of age to file a business registration. Forms are available electronically or in the Clerk's Office. All owners of the business must be present if preparing the form in the Clerk's Office and the clerk's staff will notarize all of the signatures. All people signing must present proper photo identification (driver's license). If submitting by mail, this form must already be notarized.



  • $16.00 Filing Fee- New
  • $14.00 Filing Fee- Renewal
  • $2.00 Certified Copy

Certified Copies of Birth Records, Death Records, and Marriage Licenses



  • First certified copy: $20.00
  • Additional certified copy of same document: $8.00

Birth Records

Birth records are not public records and can only be obtained by the individual or a parent whose name appears on the certificate in person or by mail after presenting valid photo identification (driver's license) or other identification to the Clerk's Office. Required information includes the name of the person on the birth certificate, date of birth, place of birth, father's name, and mother's maiden name. Requests by mail must include the above information, a copy of photo identification, and a signed and dated letter requesting the document.

Death Certificates

Death record indexes are available for viewing and may be purchased by anyone. The records can be obtained in person or by mail. Required information includes the name of decedent, date of death, and place of death. Requests by mail must include the above information and a signed and dated letter requesting the document.

Marriage Licenses

Marriage license indexes are available for viewing and may be purchased by anyone. The records can be obtained in person or by mail. Required information includes the names of the bride and groom and the date of marriage. Requests by mail must include the above information and a signed and dated letter requesting the document.

Verification Information

A request for a verification of a Michigan Birth/Death/Marriage (since 1867) will be returned to you stamped with an indication that a record was identified which matched the supplied facts, or that no record could be identified which matched the supplied facts. State law allows for verification of ONLY name(s), date, place and filing of the requested event. This information must match exactly what is on the record. No additional information can be verified or supplied by this Vital Records Office. State law requires a $10.00 fee for each search of the facts for verification.



  • Verification Request Fee: $10

Requirements for Marriage License

Online Marriage Application

You must apply for a marriage license in the county where you reside. If both parties are from out of state, you must apply in the county where the marriage will take place.

If one of the parties is a resident of Shiawassee County, you can apply in Shiawassee County and then be married anywhere in Michigan.


  • Resident of Shiawassee County: $20.00
  • Out of State Resident: $30.00

Documents needed by both parties to apply for a marriage license

Certified copy of birth certificate AND Drivers license with correct address or State of Michigan ID card with correct address.

Required Information

  • Full name of both parties
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Address including name of county
  • Number of times previously married
  • Both parents full names including mother's maiden
  • Parents place of birth
  • Social security number

Waiting Period

There is a three day waiting period after the application is completed before you can pick up your marriage license. Your marriage license must be used within 33 days from the date of application.

Notary Public Commission Information

You must apply in person in the County where you live and be at least 18 years of age.  An application for Michigan Notary Public Appointment must be completed.  The application is available from the Michigan Secretary of State or in the Clerk's office.

You must then obtain a surety bond (available through insurance agencies or bonding companies) in the amount of $10,000 and file it with the County Clerk.

The fee for filing at the county is $10.00. At that time, the county clerk will also administer an Oath of Office, and verify that you have complied with these requirements by completing the designated area on the completed Notary Public Application. Your original signature must then be placed on the form, agreeing to all conditions stated.

After you have fulfilled the filing requirements at the county level, you must then forward your completed application (with a $10 non-refundable processing fee) to the following address: Michigan Department of State, Office of the Great Seal, 7064 Crowner Blvd. Lansing, MI 48918. Do not send cash; please send a check or money order payable to the "State of Michigan."

Your notary commission certificate will then be mailed directly to your residence address as indicated on the application form. Your notary commission is not valid until you receive your certificate of commission in the mail.


Register to Vote

If you are a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age on or before Election Day, and a Michigan resident for at least 30 days, you can register to vote. Registration may be completed in person at any Secretary of State branch office, the County Clerks office, or your city or township clerk's office. 

Absent Voting

Any registered voter is eligible to request an absentee ballot. Contact your city, township or village clerk. They will send you an application to complete and return by mail, or in person at the local clerk's office.

Concealed Pistol License

Beginning December 1, 2015 - New Application forms must be used.  We cannot accept old forms after that date.
Applications may be obtained online or at the Clerk's Office. You must be 21 years of age to apply.  More information and application forms are also available from the Michigan State Police.(PDF File - Reader Application Required). A copy of the Michigan Firearms Laws are available at


Passport Application     Not currently accepting passport applications.

You must apply in person in the Clerk's office for a passport. Current driver's license or other photo ID must be presented at time of application. A certified birth certificate and 2 passport photos must be sent with application. The birth certificate will be returned with your passport. Children under the age of 16 must have both parents present for signatures on the application. It takes 4-6 weeks for the application to be processed and the passport is valid for 10 years. Passports for children under the age of 16 are valid for 5 years.

Applications may be obtained from the US Department of State's Web Site -  (Department of State forms are PDF - Reader Application Required)


  • Passport book application fee (under 16 years old): $80.00
  • Passport book application fee (16 years or older): $110.00
  • Passport card application fee (under 16 years old): $15.00
  • Passport card application fee (16 years or older): $30.00
  • Processing fee: $25.00
  • Passport pictures: $10.00

Military Discharge

Certified copies of Military Discharge papers (DD214) are available to the discharged military person or beneficiaries only.Heirs must provide a certified Death Certificate and evidence of relationship.It is the responsibility of the service person to file copies of the original documents at the CountyClerk's Office in the County of residence at the time of separation from the military.Only complete documents with original signatures are acceptable for filing.


  • First certified copy: free
  • Additional certified copies: $1.00 each

35th Judicial Circuit Court




The Shiawassee County Circuit Court Clerk’s Office will be opening on June 1, 2020 in a limited capacity. The courts are following the Supreme Court’s guidelines to reopen. At this time only one member of the public will be allowed in the Circuit Court Clerk’s office at a time. You will be required to wear a mask to enter court building and court offices.

All Civil and Domestic EMERGENCY motions, Petitions for Personal Protection Orders and Motions to Show Cause for Violation of Personal Protection Orders can be filed by email at

If you file your pleading via email DO NOT mail a hardcopy. The emailed copy is deemed the original.

Case initiating documents should be mailed along with the filing fee to the Circuit Court Clerk's office, 208 N. Shiawassee St, Corunna MI 48817. Please DO NOT email filings that you send through the mail.

Filings that require the return of documents should be mailed with a self-addressed stamped envelope to the Circuit Court Clerk's office, 208 N. Shiawassee St, Corunna MI 48817. Please DO NOT email filings that you send through the mail.

Filings over 50 pages shall be mailed or hand delivered to the clerk’s office. Time sensitive filings may need to be mailed overnight or hand deliver. If you have a question regarding the best way to file large documents, please call 989-743-2262 #3.



NonDomestic PPO.pdf


Notice of Hearing on Petition for PPO

The Shiawassee County Circuit Court is called a trial court of general jurisdiction because it has jurisdiction over all actions except those given by state law to another court. In general jurisdiction in civil cases involving more than $25,000; domestic relations cases; cases seeking equitable relief; felony criminal cases and high court misdemeanors. The Court also has jurisdiction over appeals from district courts, appeals from certain administrative agencies and superintending control over Shiawassee County District Court.

Beginning January 1, 1998, the Michigan Legislature created the Family Division of Circuit Court in all circuit courts. This Division incorporates family matters, largely juvenile proceedings, which were formerly assigned to the Probate Court. The Family Division presides over all domestic relation matters and strives to accomplish the "one judge one family" goal of the Legislature.

The Circuit Court Division of the County Clerk's office maintains all of the files of the 35th Judicial Circuit Court. The public may access files at the Circuit Court counter.